I'm going to die here.

It's been a day. It's been a year. It's been a lifetime...

I was stuck; Sticky situation, sticky floors, sticky relationship...

"I gotta get outta here."

I called the doctor, I called the shrink, I called the lady with the alligator purse.

Then I called my mom.

"Mama, I can't get out of bed. I need to get out of bed. I'm going to die here."

"Do you want to spend a week in Hawaii?" she asked.

"I don't like the heat... I don't like sharks..."

I had never flown across the ocean.

I will watch the kids..." she added...

"Sold!"

I hopped on a plane so excited to catch a break. A break from the years of caring for my beautiful, but very needy children. A break from the rigorous pill schedule of my beloved geriatric pup. I would have zero responsibilies for 8 days... seemingly endless freedom!

I stepped off of the plane. The humidity surrounded me like a warm blanket. I made my way down the escalator to be greeted by tropical plants & Aloha. 

My mom & step dad picked me up. As we drove across the island in the black of night my mother joked;

"Do you miss your kids?"

We both burst out in laughter.

"No! Not yet, hahaha!"

We arrived at the family home & my mom blended some island cheer to welcome me to Hawaii.

I had never been to Hawaii. 

I had seen Moana. 

Mommy n' me bonded over blended drinks. 

My mom is the definition of Aloha. She is always smiling, always kind... always generous.

When I rolled out of bed for my first Hawaiian morning & I walked out the front door with a cup of coffee, I saw them;

Emerald green mountains to the left. Their peaks absorbed by whimsical white clouds. I breathed in the perfectly hydrated air & I stared at those majestic hills;

"I'm going to die HERE."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Island of Misfit Toys