Island of Misfit Toys

I am not exactly your run-of-the-mill kinda girl. I have always been... different. 

I used to embrace my over-the-top antics as a child. My goal, in truth, has always been to make people smile. 

By being silly I can break up the monotony of the day-to-day. I want to add just a tiny bit of sunshine to the world. 

I tell jokes to hide my depression. 

I have always been aware of this piece of the puzzle but I have never trully owned it. 

I think most comedians are actually depressed... this world isn't all rainbows & butterflies after all.

Funny thing; Maui has a lot of rainbows & butterflies.

 So here I am, first time on Maui. Some call Maui "The island of Misfit Toys". Some call it "Neverland". Some call it "Mother Maui". Some think it's a She, some think it's a He.

Would a rose by any other name smell as sweet?

Yes.

Whatever gender, name, or judgment is assigned to Maui; I imagine the island is not offended.

Ok, so I'm here. A misfit on an island apparently full of misfits. Just being the wild & fun kind of me. 

I feel peace. I feel love. I feel all of that as I make friends with people on the beach, smile at people walking by, throw peace signs as cars happily roll to a stop to let me cross the road.

These are the people of Maui. 

They surf, smile, take only what they need, give back, watch the sun set into the crystal waters, sleep on the beach, live with three generations of family in neatly broken-up houses, turn their air-conditioning off EVERYTIME they leave their home, use the maui breeze to cool off if they do not have AC... 

They reuse, reduce, & return what they borrow from this fruitful land.

Misfits they say? I say the people of Maui are the most amazing people I have ever encountered.

I have never felt so in love with a community. 

I am home. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm going to die here.